- Change the permalink in settings to %postname% – Makes the url much shorten and keyword of the page title directly under the domain name
- Install plugin “Wp no category base” – eleminates the “category” folder so the catergory is closer to the name
- Install “SEO slugs” – remove stop words from your slugs once you save a post, so you won’t get those ugly long URL’s when you do a sentence style post title
- Optimize the “read more” text with HeadSpace2 SEO under the Pages setting- Changes the default “more” text link to something meaningful – %%title%% – full story
- Check header.php and make sure wp_title(); and it looks like wp_title(”) to have full control of the header
- SEO Friendly Image – Adds ALT and TITLE text to your images.
- save time from naming images, this plugin will auto generate alt and title for the image which includes %title = title of the post, %name = file name, %category , %tags
- ALT: %title TITLE: %title Photo
- Add Breadcrumbs – Not sure which plugin is best to use.
- Google XML Sitemap – generated an xml sitemap which makes it easier for Google to index the pages. Sends updates to the search engines whenever there is new content.
- Notify Yahoo about your updates
- Google XML Sitemap for Videos – This generates sitemap for all the videos on your blog
- Simple Tags – list all the tags as well, auto complete and suggestions, makes tagging very easy, auto have suggestion tags, and offers a flexible tag cloud widget
- WordPress SEO (by Yoast) – Has many of the features
- Shows title and description results just like it would show on Google
- Go into indexation and make the other area non indexed – this will remove some duplicate content
- All in One Webmaster – Makes it easy to submit your sitemap to Google, Bing, Alexa, Facebook, Facebook insight, blog catalog and more.
On page SEO
- Yet another related posts – Plugin shows related post to get readers to navigate around as well as build links
- Automatic SEO links – Able to set up automatic links to words
- Install wp-pagenavi Pagination –
Speed up WordPress
- WP Super Cache – turns pages into static html pages (might have issues with
- Yahoo! Yslow – is an extension for the Firefox add-on Firebug. It analyzes web pages and suggests ways to improve their performance based on a set of rules for high performance web pages. Also try the performance tools online at GTMetrix.
Other Essential Plugins
- Ultimate Google Analytics – keeps track of all the action that’s happening with Google Analytics
- Disqus commenting system – The most popular commenting system
- Feedburner – keeps track of all the feeds that pull your RSS feed
- CBnet Ping Optimizer – Pings services only when you make new posts not when you make edits
- OnlyWire – Still need to research
- Tiny MCE Advance – adds more features to the text editor such as CSS formatting
Social Networking Plugins
- GetSocial – Add the social media buttons to the left side of the site unobtrusive to the content. This is the sleekest of them all.
- Follow Me – This adds a side bar where users can joing the social networks from blog. Enter details for Facebook and Twitter
- SexyBookmarks – Add bookmarking to bottom of every post – Change setting to “Most Popular”
- WP -> Twitter – Post blog post to twitter with url and tags with hashmarks
- FB like and Twitter to bottom of each blog post
- Side Social Media Share buttons|
- Social Image Share
What WordPress Plugins do you recommend? Leave your comment below.