Skin Retouching Photoshop Tutorial Video and Cheatsheet
If you are in the creative field you will have to do retouching of faces eventually. While there are many Photoshop tutorials out there this is the best one I have came across. You don’t need to spend hours learning from scratch, just follow these simple steps. You don’t need to be a pro but you do need to know the basics. I have outlined the step by step notes below.
Set up Frequency Separation
First off we will separate the different layers, one is for the colour/dark and light and second layer is for the texture.
- 2 layers on top, one Colour one Texture
- Colour layer – apply Gaussian blur until all the colours blend together
- Texture layer on top – go to image-apply image –
- layer = Colour layer
- blending mode = subtract
- offset = 128
- Texture layer
- blending mode = Linear Light
You want to make certain areas lighter to have more of a flow, usually the eyes and shadows on the nose. You would also want to make the outside darker and inside face lighter for more definition.
- Clone Tool
- Opacity & flow = 30-50%
- Clone tool – bring colour from cheeks to higher to cover the eyes
- Lighten the side of the nose
- Shadow areas
- Lighten to even out skin tone
Remove all blemishes, wrinkles, and lines for a smooth youthful look.
- Patch tool – cover up the blemishes by copying horzontal skin
- Move fine lines
- Clean up hair from eyebrow or head
- Remove fine lines around mouth and crests
Note: Duplicate of background layer to put on top to turn on and off to see the difference
Dodging and burning
Enhance the face by making certain areas darker and certain areas lighter.
- Add new layer –
- Blending Mode: soft light
- fill 50% grey –
- Name it Dodge
- duplicate and name new one burn
- Range = midtones Exposure 12%
Dodging tool lighters up certain areas.
- Eye, corner of eyes brighten around the eyes – do what girls do with makeup
- 3 Big strokes down the centre of face, leaving the edge darker
Burning darkens certain areas to enhance the face. Usually it’s the eyes and outer face. This can be used to enhance facial features such as the cheekbone.
- darken pupil, and edge eyes, darken eyebrows, darken outer corner of eyes makes eye looks bigger, cheekbones, lines around face
The tutorial also teaches you how to add makeup using Photoshop. This is not something normally required but watch the video if you would like to learn the technique.